There’s nothing more luxurious than a whipped body butter made from all organic ingredients, scented with some of the most coveted oils on earth!
DIY personal care products can seem like a daunting undertaking, but they are fairly simple. It’s really just like cooking! What I do is take a base recipe and while using the same proportions, change butters, oils and scents to my custom preferences.
Since learning how to make my own body butters a few years ago, I’ve been experimenting with my favorite essential oil scents. So far, my favorites are chocolate-mint, orange, rose, and this heavenly vanilla scent with just a hint of mint.
What Equipment Do I Need?
Not much at all! I use a glass measuring bowl in a medium-sized pot as my double boiler, a bamboo skewer, measuring cups, and a KitchenAid or hand mixer.
- 1/4 cup mango butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter (or all mango, or shea butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup apricot kernel, almond or jojoba oil
- 2 TBS arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essential oil
- 15 - 30 drops peppermint essential oil
- Melt butters in double boiler or double boiler substitute over medium-low heat.
- Add coconut oil and melt completely.
- Meanwhile mix arrowroot powder with whatever cold oil you are using.
- Remove butters and coconut oil from heat and add the arrowroot/oil mixture.
- Mix in vanilla bean powder if using.
- Place bowl in refrigerator (if using KitchenAid, transfer to appropriate mixing bowl) until mixture hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator and add essential oils and vitamin E.
- Blend on medium to high speed until the consistency is that of whipped cream (may take 20 minutes) scraping the sides and checking that the scent is what you want periodically.
- Transfer to jars, label and either give away or keep them all to yourself!
Don’t want to make vanilla bean whipped body butter yourself? I sell a similar version of this in my 90210 Organics’ online shop. It’s not the exact version as shown above because I like to keep some of my recipes a secret, but it’s just as Uh-mazing!!! 🙂 I promise! It is one of my most requested body butter scents.
If you want to learn how to make more of your own DIY beauty products, Heather Dessinger from Mommypotamus has a fabulous book appropriately titled DIY Organic Beauty Recipes.
This invaluable book covers everything from homemade shampoo to baby products, deodorant to lotion. The ingredients are easy to find and the recipes are easy to follow. I love it!
You’ll be making your own personal care products in no time!
In addition to the links to where to buy ingredients in the recipe itself, most of the ingredients to make vanilla bean whipped body butter can be found at the following stores:
Have fun creating and enjoy!