If you’ve been with us this month so far, you know that we are grain-free for January. This is something we did last April and it both got my creative juices flowing AND helped me shed some extra pounds that I was hanging onto postpartum.
I have to tell you, my kids were not happy about the “no-bread” thing. What they don’t realize is that mommy can make “bread” with no grains! Once I convinced them of this, they were much more cooperative with our plan for the month.
I have the privilege of networking on a daily basis with some pretty incredible bloggers. We have a couple of Facebook groups where we chat daily about recipes and natural living. It’s been the main reason my blog has grown the way it has over the last few months. I couldn’t do this without them!
I tell you all that to tell you this. The flat bread recipe I’m using with this salmon (or tuna) salad on grain-free flat bread comes from two of the bloggers in that group and I am so excited to share it with you!
I first saw a recipe for grain-free naan from Ashley over at My Heart Beets. I bookmarked it! I then saw a grain-free flat bread recipe over from Hayley over at Health Starts in the Kitchen and knew I just had to try it. They are friends who live close enough to each other to do lunch. I’m so jealous!
You’ll have to click over to their sites which are both linked above to get the flat bread recipes in their entirety, but look around while you’re there! It’s worth it! You will LOVE their blogs! I spend a lot of time on both!
For the flat bread: For 6 servings, double the flat bread recipe. For 3 servings, make half the salmon salad recipe or just have lots of extra to eat on its own. 🙂
Any kind of salad like this is very forgiving. You can add or take away whatever you want and it will still turn out great. This recipe can be modified to your tastes and preferences. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
- 3 (6+ oz) cans of Alaskan pink salmon or 4 (5oz) cans tuna (or the equivalent in leftover cooked salmon or tuna)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade and can be non-dairy)
- 1 TBS organic mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt (I like Real Salt) or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1-2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green pepper)
- 1/2 cheese - optional - (shredded or chopped)
- 1/2 cup black olives (chopped)
- Prepare Naan/Flat Bread according to instructions at either My Heart Beets or Health Starts in the Kitchen.
- Strain salmon or tuna and place into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add mustard and mayonnaise and mix well.
- Add seasonings and mix.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Serve on flat bread.
This salmon salad was very enjoyable and the grain-free flat bread was slightly crisp on the outside and tender in the middle. It was perfect! I was asked to make it again tomorrow for lunch!
Be nourished. Be happy.