Last week I made coconut sugar salted caramel and it was a huge hit! We made coconut cloud cake and used the salted caramel as a drizzle. Yummo! This week I began experimenting with flavoring the caramel and came up with a delicious pumpkin spiced variety. It’s delicious! I wanted to make some pumpkin caramel chocolates with a distinct pumpkin spiced flavor in the gooey center. This worked perfectly!
My favorite pumpkin pie spice is one that I purchase already blended from here. You can also make your own using these fabulous recipes from The Rising Spoon, DIY Natural, and Our Nourishing Roots. It’s super easy!
I suggest 1-2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice per 1/4 cup of caramel. Start with the lower amount and then add more to your taste. I like it really pumpkin spicy! You may not.
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, coconut butter or coconut oil
- 2 1/3 cups coconut sugar
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut cream (or pastured cream)
- Pinch of real salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice per 1/4 cup of caramel (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or coconut butter/oil.
- Add coconut sugar and stir until melted with butter/oil. It will have a taffy-like consistency.
- Add egg yolks, coconut cream (or pastured cream), and salt. Whisk thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
- Serve warm or chilled.
This caramel shouts “AUTUMN” from the rooftops! It’s so wonderfully seasonal and I think you’ll look forward to it year after year!
How do you use caramel? Tell us in comments below! We’d love some new ideas!
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on these links doesn’t cost you anything and purchases made through them won’t cost you extra. It provides me with a small commission which helps keep this blog running. It’s like leaving a tip! Thanks so much for your support! I appreciate it very much!