Today’s dinner was inspired by the plethora of basil growing in my garden. Pesto is one of my favorite summery dishes. Pesto chicken is easily prepared by marinating chicken breasts or thighs in basil, garlic, and ghee(or olive oil), salt, and pepper.
This recipe was like an explosion of flavor in my mouth! There’s SO much flavor! I didn’t want dinner to end!!!
- 4 cups fresh basil
- 4-6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil or ghee
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 pastured chicken thighs or breasts marinated in pesto sauce for 1 hour to overnight
- 1 shallot (optional)
- 1 onion
- 1 large clove garlic or 4 small cloves
- 1 bell pepper - any color
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 small eggplant or 2 Japanese or Fairytale eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 patty pan squash (optional)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- feta, goat or fresh mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- 1 package organic whole wheat, spelt or Einkorn penne (or gluten free option) cooked as directed on package.
- Tip: Salt and Pepper after each addition.
- Chop vegetables so they are cubed and somewhat uniform in size.
- Place peppers, onions, shallot, and garlic in a bowl.
- Place squash and eggplant in a separate bowl.
- Coat saute pan with Ghee and cook chicken until almost cooked through.
- Remove from pan and slice chicken.
- Saute pepper mixture and add squash mixture.
- Cook until slightly soft.
- Add chicken and cook through.
- Add tomatoes and herbs.
- I added a ladle-full of stock that I had on-hand for some extra liquid but you can add some of the pasta water.
- Add feta or other cheese of choice.
- Serve with grated cheese.
What’s your favorite “basil” dish?
This post may contain affiliate links. Clicking on these links doesn’t cost you anything but purchases made through affiliate links may provide me with a small commission. This helps me out a lot! Thank you for your support!