There are some holiday traditions that must continue despite food sensitivities.
Eggnog is one of them!
I chose the paleo eggnog because it’s my husband’s favorite winter drink. We used to buy it before Thanksgiving and keep buying it until it was discontinued for the season. It always gave me a horrible stomach ache (even the organic kind) so I wouldn’t drink it.
There’s WAY more than eggnog in this amazing book though! I love the “Swap”, “Remove”, and “Heal” approach because it’s totally in line with what I’ve done in my own life and also in my nutrition practice.
In Real Life Paleo there are 175 grain-free, gluten-free recipes. There are also meal plans to help you stay on track as you gain health. There is a specific method to systematically losing weight as your repair the health you’ve lost.
If you’ve ever done a food elimination you know it’s not easy. You really have to replace what you’ve taken out with better choices in order to get optimum results. Real Life Paleo is an amazing tool to help you take control of the foods that are causing damage and replace them with delicious, real food. Matt & Stacy make it easy!! Even if you’re not doing a food elimination and just want to go grain and/or dairy-free, this is a great tool!
Some of the recipes you’ll find in Real Life Paleo are:
- Sweet Potato Apple Hash
- Honey Nut Cereal
- Chunky Monkey Muffins
- Pumpkin Pudding
- Epic Bacon Meatloaf
- Baked (not) Potato Soup
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- and more!
Okay, back to the eggnog! Can I just say, I’ll never go back to store-bought again after making this one! This recipe is amazing and is now going to be our holiday staple from before Thanksgiving to through the New Year!
With just a few simple ingredients I was able to whip up a delicious, family friendly drink in five minutes (the cooked version takes a bit longer).
I enlisted the help of my youngest son for this experiment because he is obsessed with eggs. He loves cracking them more than eating them. Because I had to separate them for this recipe, he settled for putting in the rest of the ingredients.
There are two ways to make this eggnog. One is a raw version using raw eggs. If you prefer not to consume raw eggs, there is a cooked version. I personally am fine with raw eggs so I made the raw version. I get them from a local farm very fresh.
If you’re not strict paleo (which I’m not) and not sensitive to milk, you can use raw milk in place of the coconut and almond milk. If you can’t get raw milk then it’s best to not drink milk at all.
- 2 cups coconut milk (full fat, canned, or homemade)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large pastured eggs yolks
- In a blender or food processor, process all of the ingredients on high speed for 2 minutes, until the egg yolks are fully incorporated.
- Serve chilled with freshly ground nutmeg on top.
- In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the egg yolks.
- Warm over medium heat for about 5 minutes, but stop before it starts to simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks by hand until they are an even light yellow.
- While whisking constantly, temper the egg yolks by slowly pouring 1 cup of the warmed milk mixture into the yolks. Repeat until about half of the milk has been whisked into the yolks.
- Pour the tempered egg yolks back into the saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Continue to heat for another 5 minutes, but do not boil. Use a candy thermometer to ensure the temperature does not go over 160 degrees F.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Serve cold with freshly grated nutmeg on top.
Speaking of liking, obviously my son thinks this is awesome! He drank three cups!
Paleo Eggnog is the perfect hostess gift to bring to a holiday party, so I’ve included it in the 12 Days of DIY Christmas hosted by Homegrown & Healthy!
Pick up your copy of Real Food Paleo at a bookstore near you or order here. It makes a great gift too! You won’t be disappointed!
Be nourished. Be happy.