Enjoy this simply delicious recipe from contributing author, Jolene from Yummy Inspirations!
When the weather is warmer I tend to plan my weekly meals around the weather report. Roasting up a chicken on cooler days and then preparing meals like a chicken salad or other hot weather meals on warmer days when it’s just too uncomfortably hot to cook. This strategy means that my family continue to be nourished by wholesome meals, even when it’s so hot that I just can’t face the kitchen.
Regardless of the season, every time that I roast a chicken, I usually roast an extra chicken (or sometimes a half a dozen legs,drumsticks or other chicken pieces) to use for leftovers and making bone broth. This Chicken Salad with Zesty Orange Dressing is one of my very favorite ways of taking advantage of flavorsome leftover roast chicken.
We love all things orange in our house. Recently I shared a recipe for fresh Orange Bliss Balls and in the past I’ve shared other orange sweets such as Grain Free Chocolate Orange Cake and Raw Chocolate Orange Mousse. This salad also packs a zesty punch and is one of our favorites.
This chicken salad is just so easy to toss together once you have a bounty of leftover roast chicken that I’m sure you’ll do as I do and roast extra just so you can prepare this salad.
It’s the homemade Zesty Orange Salad Dressing which really brings this Chicken Salad to life. Making salad dressing from scratch is such a gratifying process. Not only do you know exactly what’s included in your dressing, but you can adapt the recipe to your taste. You could add a touch more zest or even apple cider vinegar if you prefer. This is our personal family favorite combination. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 Cups Greens of Choice (I used Spinach)
- 1 Cup Halved Cherry or Mini Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Leftover Roasted Chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 Avocado, halved, pip removed and flesh chopped into bite sized pieces
- Place your greens on the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Top with the tomatoes, chicken and avocado.
- Toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, top with the zesty orange dressing.
Zesty Orange Salad Dressing Recipe
- Finely grated zest of half an orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk or into a mason jar and shake until combined and emulsified.
- Drizzle over chicken salad or your salad of choice.
Watch the salad and dressing in the making:
The marriage of chicken and zesty orange is just the perfect combination, the two ingredients just work so well together.
Aussie Mum of 2 Jolene is passionate about marketing real food to kids and inspiring other parents to do the same. She shares easy family meal ideas and inspiration on her food blog Yummy Inspirations. Subscribe to receive the FREE weekly newsletter, packed full of easy recipes and food inspiration plus exclusive, subscriber only content. Click here to subscribe now.