We get some food each week through our church that comes from Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s and today I picked up a container of raw/vegan macaroons. They tasted okay but I knew that I could probably make them better. So with an, “anything you can do I can do better” attitude I went to work on these simple little delicacies.
If you’ve got 5 minutes you can make raw coconut-almond macaroons. There are only 4 main ingredients: Coconut, almond meal, coconut oil and maple syrup. You can use honey instead if you prefer. I added some vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to liven things up or you could use almond extract instead.
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 2 TBS maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Pinch of sea salt (I like Real Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- Roll into balls or shape as desired.
- Store in the refrigerator in a airtight container.
Raw Coconut-Almond Macaroons are the perfect snack to boost energy and get in some nutrient dense coconut. They won’t leave you feeling sluggish or with a sugar crash. Quite the opposite!
They make the perfect macaroon base to build on. You can roll in coconut, cacao powder, or even dip in melted chocolate!
Any way you decide to make them, they really are delicious!
Be nourished. Be happy.
What’s your favorite way to eat coconut?