Beet kvass is a probiotic-rich blood tonic that promotes gut health that has been taken for centuries for improving health. It is also mineral-rich and very cleansing to the kidneys, sometimes taken to treat kidney stones, and liver.
Fermenting the beets takes all their nutrition and pulls it into the liquid. Your body can easily assimilate all the nutrients from the beets that it needs from the kvass. It’s really amazing!
Making beet kvass is really simple. It takes 5 minutes to prep and only 2 days to be ready to drink. You can use some of the finished kvass as a starter for a new batch. Drink it chilled and only a few ounces per day.
I use water kefir as my starter instead of whey or extra salt. I find it to be such an easy way to ferment because I always have some on hand.
- 3 fresh beets (washed but unpeeled)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, halved (1clove per jar)
- A few whole allspice per jar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt per jar
- 1/4 cup water kefir per jar
- Wash beets and cut in half and quarter.
- Add one to each jar.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, allspice and peppercorns,
- Add 2 tsp of sea salt per jar.
- Add 1/4 cup water kefir per jar.
- Fill each jar with filtered water to 1-inch below rim.
- Stir to dissolve salt.
- Cover tightly with lid and/or airlock.
- Let sit at room temperature for two days, strain and transfer to cold storage.
- Compost the beets OR keep 1/2 cup of the kvass as a starter and repeat with the same beets just used.
- Starter and beets only make 2-3 batches and then it becomes too weak.
I accidentally peeled my beets the first time. Don’t do that!
Have you tried Beet Kvass? What do you think of it?
This post has not been evaluated by the FDA. Nothing here is meant to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure any disease, Please consult your health care provider with any health concerns you might have.
This post contains affiliate links.