My favorite childhood candy was Rolo Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate. I ate *a lot* of them! Now that I’m a real foodie and not a fan of conventional chocolate (or chocolate companies) I look for alternatives.
These homemade rolos are better than the originals because they don’t contain any of the junk. I used this cute little mold that I found on Amazon, soy-free chocolate chips and homemade caramel. So good!
- 1 cup soy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut butter (buy here or make your own) or 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 TBS unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut cream (or pastured cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate and coconut butter or oil.
- Fill candy molds halfway up with chocolate mixture and place in refrigerator to set.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or oil.
- Add coconut sugar and stir until melted with butter/oil. It will have a taffy-like consistency if using butter but if using coconut oil it will just looked mixed.
- Add egg yolks, coconut cream or cream.
- Whisk thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Allow to chill in refrigerator.
- Place a small amount of caramel in the center of the chocolate, being careful not to let it touch the sides of the mold.
- Fill the rest of the way up with chocolate and place back into the refrigerator to harden.
- Pop out of molds and enjoy!
These are so fun! Bet you can’t eat just one!
What was your favorite childhood candy?