My favorite childhood candy was Rolo Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate. I ate *a lot* of them! Now that I’m a real foodie and not a fan of conventional chocolate (or chocolate companies) I look for alternatives.
These “imitation” rolo candies are better than the originals because they don’t contain any of the junk. I used this cute little mold that I found on Amazon, soy-free chocolate chips and homemade caramel. So good!
- 1 cup soy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut butter (buy here or make your own) or 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 TBS unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut cream (or pastured cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate and coconut butter or oil.
- Fill candy molds halfway up with chocolate mixture and place in refrigerator to set.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or oil.
- Add coconut sugar and stir until melted with butter/oil. It will have a taffy-like consistency if using butter but if using coconut oil it will just looked mixed.
- Add egg yolks, coconut cream or cream.
- Whisk thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Allow to chill in refrigerator.
- Place a small amount of caramel in the center of the chocolate, being careful not to let it touch the sides of the mold.
- Fill the rest of the way up with chocolate and place back into the refrigerator to harden.
- Pop out of molds and enjoy!
These are so fun! Bet you can’t eat just one!
What was your favorite childhood candy?PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DISCLAIMER: All recipes posted on this blog are either my original recipes or modified from other recipes. Proper credit is given to the original author if a recipe was inspired elsewhere. All recipes, either DIY or food are the Intellectual Property of Real Food Outlaws and my product company, 90210 Organics. They must be properly credited if used on any other webpage other than my own. They are intended for personal use only and are not for resale. If you have any questions, just ask. Thank you for your cooperation. View all disclaimers here: http://www.realfoodoutlaws.com/disclaimer/