Herb-roasted chicken with vegetables is my absolute favorite meal! I make it every other week, sometimes every week when the weather is cool. It’s a simple, one-pot meal that is hearty and satisfying. I also make this for meal trains whenever someone in my church small group or holistic moms network chapter has a baby. It is very nourishing for a new mom!
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it can be used as a guide. Any root vegetables, and even bell peppers can be added to it depending on what is in season. All the seasoning is to taste. I never measure. The ghee (can buy here) helps to seal in the moisture and brings out the flavor of the vegetables. Use organic or pastured butter if you don’t have ghee.
An alternative to cooking this in the oven is to use a crock pot. Just put everything in and cook on low for about 6 hours. So easy and so yum!
Save the bones for bone broth and leftover chicken for chicken salad and this meal goes very far!
- 1 free-range, organic chicken
- 2-4 sweet potatoes or yams
- 4-6 potatoes
- 4 or more stalks of celery
- 4 or more carrots
- 1-2 large onions
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- juice of ½ lemon
- thyme (dried or fresh)
- rosemary (dried or fresh)
- freshly ground pepper
- sea salt
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Place in roasting pan and rub ghee over the breast and legs.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken.
- Arrange chopped vegetables all around chicken and season everything with herbamare, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
- Roast covered in oven for 1½ hours or longer depending on weight of chicken.
- Serve with garlic bread.
What’s your favorite way to prepare chicken?