Since we are grain-free this month I have to be creative and find new and exciting grain-free foods to make. There are only so many mornings we can eat coconut flour pancakes or scrambled eggs, though we really do love them!
Bacon and eggs are a match made in heaven! Breakfast muffins are adorable! I was thinking of making this recipe for Bacon & Egger’s this morning because it’s awesome, but I have 2 extra kids over for the day and I needed something a bit more filling that I could stretch a little farther. I was inspired by a recipe from the Tropical Traditions website and decided to make these grain-free bacon egg and cheese breakfast muffins my own.
I really enjoy working with coconut flour and I love how I feel when I eat it. Even though I properly prepare all my grains by soaking and sprouting and do a lot of sourdough, I still feel “heavy” after eating them. I know this has a lot to do with my adrenal fatigue and how it affects the digestion of food. I feel more nourished and lighter with the coconut flour, if that makes sense.
I’ve been cooking my bacon in the oven for a couple of months. I put it on a baking rack inside a baking dish to catch the grease. It’s cooked at 400 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes until crisp. It’s a much cleaner way of cooking it…and safer too! I used to burn myself regularly from splattering grease on the stove.
Don’t forget, when working with coconut flour you need moisture. We use the eggs and cheese to add moisture to this recipe but if you do any of the add-ins, you may need to adjust the coconut flour accordingly.
The add-ins will add moisture to the muffin so you may need to add a little more coconut flour to balance it out. Be careful not to overcook these or they will be dry.
- 6 pastured eggs
- 8 -12 pieces pastured bacon
- 1/3 cup (slightly rounded) coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded or chopped cheddar cheese (or favorite variety of cheese)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt (I like Real Salt)
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 4 TBS fat (butter, coconut oil, bacon grease) - I use bacon grease.
- Add-ins of choice (optional) - I did not add anything this time:
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Grease 12 muffin tins with coconut oil.
- Cook bacon until crispy either in a skillet or in a 400 degree F oven.
- Set aside and save bacon grease.
- Mix the eggs, coconut flour, paprika, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Batter will be thick like a cookie batter.
- Crumble bacon and add it along with the fat, cheese and any add-ins.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until egg has puffed up and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven onto a baking rack and allow to cool slightly.
- Pop them out with a spatula gently by separating the each muffin from the sides and bottom of the tin.
These were readily accepted by my crew plus 2! The were deemed blog worthy and everyone had seconds. I call that a success!
Be nourished. Be happy.