When I told my kids we were having “hamburger salad” they all said, “yuck!”. Then they tried a bite and ate everything on their plates! This is the first time I’ve made this meal and it is definitely a keeper! It is grain-free, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly.
I use grass-fed beef from my local organic farmer. Some of the condiments I made myself and the pickles I made last summer and canned. Tomatoes are not in season yet so I left them out. I was also out of avocado! You can use whatever you have on-hand but I strongly encouraged using organically grown, local ingredients whenever possible.
- Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1-2 pounds grass-fed beef
- Salad greens
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 cups of favorite cheese, grated
- Pickles (I use homemade)
- Ketchup (condiments are best homemade)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ghee or another healthy fat to saute with.
- Optional toppings: tomatoes, avocado, olives, homemade pepper relish, etc
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Add a small amount of ghee to frying pan and cook ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Saute mushroom in same pan in the fat left over by the beef.
- Remove to another bowl and set aside.
- Add more ghee to pan and saute onions.
- Assemble desired toppings and condiments in serving bowls.
- Layer lettuce on dinner plates and ground beef next.
- Add desired toppings on top of the beef.
This post is shared at Sunday School Blog Carnival, Thank Goodness it’s Monday, Fat Tuesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Party Wave Wednesday, Well Fed Wednesday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Granny’s Vital Vittles, Simple Meals Friday.