Making your own personal care products is fun, economical and safer for your body. We are exposed to over 126 toxins a day from our personal care products alone! That’s a staggering number! These toxins disrupt our hormone balance, interfere with brain function and harm our immune systems.
If you are new to making your own products, scrubs are a good place to start. They’re easy to make because it’s just like cooking. You throw some things in a bowl, stir them up and voila! You have your very own body scrub!
Scrubs are great because the exfoliate the skin. This can help improve skin tone and make it smoother. They are also helpful in stimulating the lymphatic system which helps with circulation. Scrubs help the skin hold in moisture which is especially good in the cooler months when dry skin is an issue.
For this recipe I used organic brown sugar but organic cane sugar can be used. You’re not eating it so it’s ok if it’s a little refined! For the coffee, I look for the most inexpensive organic coffee at Trader Joe’s that I can find. I like whole bean coffee because it smells so mush fresher than pre-ground. I like adding cocoa butter to my scrubs. It adds extra moisture and really softens the skin. Plus, I like the light chocolate scent it adds to it!
To enhance the coffee aroma and to add another scent dimension to this scrub, I add a little peppermint essential oil (here is where I buy my essential oils currently).
This recipe will make six 8oz jars of scrub. It’s the perfect amount to keep one for yourself and give five away to your friends! Don’t need that much? Just cut down the recipe to the amount you need.
- 6 cups of your choice of sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter
- 3/4 cup sweet almond or coconut oil
- 3 TBS ground coffee
- 2 tsp vitamin E
- 12 drops peppermint essential oil (or more if desired)
- In a double boiler (or glass measuring cup placed inside a pot that's filled halfway up with simmering water), melt cocoa butter (and coconut oil if using instead of almond oil).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and almond oil (if using instead of coconut oil).
- Pour cocoa butter mixture over sugar and allow to cool.
- Add coffee grounds, peppermint essential oil and vitamin E.
- Mix well and let sit for a little while so the sugar can absorb the oils.
- When the mixtures no longer looks greasy, it's ready to be put into jars.
- Store in airtight containers and try to keep water out of the jar.
- To use: Scoop out a small amount into hands and massage into skin.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
Want some more inspiration? Check out these amazing ebooks! Simple Scrubs to Make and Give, and DIY Organic Beauty. I love these and definitely recommend if you are serious about making your own beauty products!
Don’t want to make it yourself? I have it available in my online store, 90210 Organics.
Have you ever made your own personal care products? What have you made? Tell us in comments.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on these links doesn’t cost anything and purchases made through them don’t cost you extra. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links which helps me fund my blog. Thank you for your support! I appreciate it very much!