It’s getting chilly so we’ve been on an oatmeal kick. Once a week I’ve made a different flavor to try. First it was Pumpkin Pie. Then it was Apple Pie. Today we tried out another of our favorite pie flavors, cherry!
We soak our oats to make them easier to digest. It’s not mandatory, just something traditional foodies prefer to do to reduce phytic acid, an anti-nutrient. You can use steel cut or regular rolled oats. I prefer steel cut because they don’t disintegrate as muchwhen soaked.
If you are gluten-intolerant, be sure you purchase oats that specifically say “Gluten-Free” on the package. Regular oats are not and you may have some issues.
If you don’t have a small crock pot like the one I’ve linked to in the recipe, you can make this in a large crock pot. Just double the recipe.
- 2 cups gluten-free steel cut oats
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 TBS raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup milk (preferably raw) or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
- 1/2 tsp real salt
- 2 TBS chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 cup organic cherries (I used jarred cherries but you can use fresh or frozen cherries that have been thawed or rehydrated dried cherries)
- Butter or grease the bottom of a small crock pot and add water, oats and apple cider vinegar.
- Allow to soak all day. Don't drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook overnight in crock pot on low.
- Serve with milk or coconut milk, extra butter and honey or maple syrup.
This really tastes like cherry pie and was such a treat for breakfast! My kids loved it and asked for seconds. That means the recipe was a success in my house!
Have you tried any of the oatmeal flavors we’ve posted yet? What’s your favorite?
This post contains affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything extra to purchase through these links but it provides me with a little commission. This helps me keep this blog up and running. Thank you so very much for your support! I appreciate it very much!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.